Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Products I Use to Straighten My Hair (Type 2B)

Dear www,

I was either 5 or 6 years old.
 I will never forget the first time my mother hot combed my hair. All I can remember was my hair on the bathroom floor from being burnt, YIKES! I never knew I could straighten my hair from thermal heat. I am not 100% African American but I have enough to fall into the category of textured hair. I am considered a Type 2B, which basically means I have a "S" pattern and I can accomplish various hairstyles with a little frizz. I still had not mastered the art of thermal styling and was mainly exposed to water, Aquanet, Prostyle, and a hard brush, thus the beloved and chic ponytail.



I was either 9 or 10 years old.

After all these years I have mastered the art of styling my hair with a flat iron, blow dryer, crimper, wand, and the infamous curling iron. I don't know about you but this type of hair care can take up to two hours from start to finish! Most importantly it has taken me a long time to understand what hair products work for me.

Currently I am I using this combination of hair products for thermal styling my hair.

Scalp Benefits (Pre - Shampoo)

Scalp Benefits by Aveda is 8.5 oz for $15.50 and it's OTG. I use this for a couple of reasons. I tend to get dandruff and this has helped me significantly. Before I use a moisturizing shampoo I always use a cleansing shampoo first. This particular shampoo cleanses down to the roots, removes excess sebum and buildup, and makes my hair feel streaky clean. This has a very earthy smell and a medium lather.
Color Proof Shampoo and Conditioner - The Moisture Collection

Color Proof Shampoo and Conditioner is my favorite thus far. This is the Moisture Collection for color treated hair. I like that the products are 100% vegan, sulfate, gluten, phthalate, and carcinogen free. First, the shampoo defiantly has a good lather. Secondly, the conditioner has a good tingly feeling on the scalp. I like that the conditioner has enough slip to put a wide tooth comb through my tangled hair. I purchased the 30 oz. bottles for a grand total of $60.00. It's priced pretty high but sometimes you can't cut corners, especially if you are trying to upkeep your color.

Starting from left to right. Aveda Smooth Infusion Styling Prep Smoother, Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener, Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid, and Moroccan Oil.

 After I towel dry my hair I prep my hair and mix about of dime size of Glossing Straightener (4.2 oz / $22.00) and the Style Prep Smoother (3.4 oz / $24.00). Both of these products mixed together helps me achieve a smoother and straight look all while protecting my hair. I like to put just enough but not to much so my hair isn't weighed down. I want my flat iron to last a couple of days and the natural oils of my hair will add more natural moisture and movement. I try to make sure my hair is about 30% dry before adding the products. I add the Moroccan Oil through my ends, because this is where I tend to get the most of my frizz and split ends. After I section my hair and blow dry with a comb then I am ready to flat iron my hair.... FINALLY! I use the Smoothing Fluid (3.4 oz / 27.00) which is a serum that catches all the fly always and gives my hair just a little bit more shine. It's also not to heavy if you need to restyle your look the next day. You can never have enough shine! Sorry... that's the girly side of me.

Aveda Control Paste
I know another product, right? I can be alittle obessed with making sure my hair looks just right. This is the best product I have found thus far for my edges. Control Paste (1.7 oz / $22.00) is a finishing product for dry hair. I LOVE this product because it doesn't revert my hair back to its natural state. The next day your hair doesnt get flacky, it's almost as though you never added a styling hold to your hair. Because your edges are so tiny I like to use a tooth brush to swoop my edges. 

I have so many other styling products, tips, and tricks and cannot wait to share. All of the products I have listed are OTG. Please leave a comment below and let me know what type of products you use or if you're an AVEDA fan.

*OTG: on the ground ;)

Always with Love
Tomboy GirlChic






No comments:

Post a Comment