Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

The Quest for DIY Home Manicure

Dear www,


Have you ever left a nail salon and thought, "I could totally do this at home and save $20.00."  Then all of the sudden your spontaneous side kicks in and you buy nail polish. You finally sit down at the kitchen table with excitement and start painting your nails, but it’s a disaster! Reality kicks in and you think, "I can't do this." (sigh)

After a while I decided that if I buy the right products, practice, and research different techniques I am bound to get it right ... right?

Above is a picture of my nails, I used Eternal Optimist by Essie. Which after much investigation is similar to OPI. The best part is that you can pick this up OTG (on the ground) at Walgreens for only $8.00. I love a good steal!

My Research
I am beginning my journey with the basics. But did you know the difference between a base coat and a top coat? That a base coat has a glossy or matte finish? That you should paint with your dominate hand first? Or that you should “de-oil" your nail before applying nail polish?  

For the readers out there, Oprah did a good online article on a "do it yourself" classic manicure. 

I on the other hand love YouTube! I found videos that show you step by step. But most importatnly explains the thoery ascpect of proper nail care. Enjoy!

Always with Love,
Tomboy GirlyChic
                        
Manicure Tools that you will need..


How to remove nail polish the right way..


How To Cut and Shape Your Nails..


Soak your nails after you shape your nail and before you cut your cuticles..


How to use cuticle remover..


How to remove your cuticles..


Always apply a base coat first then your nail color!


Now you can apply your colored nail polish..

 

Home stretch!  applying a quick top coat..








2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea that there was a right way to take off nail polish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carrie,
      Yes the more information I read about the proper way to do a manicure the more I feel like I have been living under a rock.
      Thank you for your comment!
      nay_naygirl

      Delete